Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

I need an honest answer
  • I need an honest answer

created by: Abhinav12:00 AMSun, March 14, 2004
  • i need a VERY reliable bike for commuting to work, but from the Newsletters and discussion groups it seems that the Bullet is a bike that needs to be constantly tended to and have problems repaired. Am i mistaken in this assumption?!

• Ashish Tiwari

12:00 AM Sat, March 27, 2004
  • question that hasnt been answered for a fortnight! let me give it a shot:
    the bullet and its variants are, imho, not the "fill it, shut it, forget it" kind of bike. remember that the design, process and materials are still largely decades-old technology. there are a few improvements like electronic ignition, lean burn cycle and disk brakes, but i wouldnt say the current bullet offering is contemporary enough to be very reliable. if commuting reliability is your key concern, i would suggest either of the two below:

1) wait for a few months for royal enfield to bring out their new range. however i am not sure if they will have a commuter type bike!
    2) go for a lower capacity indo-jap bike
    like the fiero/pulsar/cbz.

hope this helped.
    cheers,
    vish

• Shashi Bhushan Velasiri

12:00 AM Mon, March 29, 2004
  • For the simple fact of Reliable I would say yes its reliable but the confidence at which I can say is only 50% I think you would have understood. Bullet requires maintenance afterall for the comfort it gives I don't think its a Nuisance. I have a Bullet which I brought 6 months ago and most of the trip to my dealer were not due to any fault but due to my problems with satisfaction which was from the earlier 100cc bikes I drove. Bullet excels the crowd out in handling and comfort which no other bike has on Indian roads. I bet none will give you or even comes close to it for the matterof comfort and handling. Don't buy if you want some thing total maintenance free except for the regular service, Then you are looking into the wrong forum for advice. Everyone who rides a Bullet rides for pleasure and comfort. Again one more important thing is mileage if you are so tuned about mileage then Bullet is not for you, the best you can get on a Bullet is 35~40 (thats on ELECTRA) The TB and Machismo which sports the AVL will give close to 45~50. So think about it and ride to see if you personally like Bullet. I brought Bullet on my own desire and I never asked anyoe for advice. So when you commit some thing by yourself you will be the only one responsibe instead of the whole forum or World. Take care...

• mughilan ramajayam

12:00 AM Thu, May 27, 2004
  • question that hasnt been answered for a fortnight! let me give it a shot:
    the bullet and its variants are, imho, not the "fill it, shut it, forget it" kind of bike. remember that the design, process and materials are still largely decades-old technology. there are a few improvements like electronic ignition, lean burn cycle and disk brakes, but i wouldnt say the current bullet offering is contemporary enough to be very reliable. if commuting reliability is your key concern, i would suggest either of the two below:

1) wait for a few months for royal enfield to bring out their new range. however i am not sure if they will have a commuter type bike!
    2) go for a lower capacity indo-jap bike
    like the fiero/pulsar/cbz.

hope this helped.
    cheers,
    vish

u cannot compare chalk to cheese. Aquila is technology whereas the Enfield is a blacksmith's product. Its so easy to differentiate. I have an Aquila (purchase - second owner) and a Machismo 92 model. Power delivery, Crusiing comfort, Sound of V twins makes a lot difference. But i never take the Aquila out on deserted roads the Enfield goes there just for one reason i dont know hoe to fix the Aquila if it stalls, the enfield is a baby.
    miltz

• Raghavendra Krishna

05:41 PM Sat, July 20, 2013
  • check out for problems in royal enfield bikes on face book for more details

• RAJESH A

09:29 AM Tue, March 25, 2014
  • I know many people using RE for commutation like everyday office. You just need to observe riding condition of your bike every time you ride it thats all. Any bike you take from market have its own issues. Some one is looking for mileage and other one more comfort and few others good look, colour, etc etc. In my experience with RE350 STD just need to check the clutch & break adjustments and some times the chain may be in 1000-1500 km. Rest everything is smooth and have a decent ride with normal speed and proper breaking. Enjoy.

• Raji J

09:34 PM Sat, May 10, 2014
  • I know many people using RE for commutation like everyday office. You just need to observe riding condition of your bike every time you ride it thats all. Any bike you take from market have its own issues. Some one is looking for mileage and other one more comfort and few others good look, colour, etc etc. In my experience with RE350 STD just need to check the clutch & break adjustments and some times the chain may be in 1000-1500 km. Rest everything is smooth and have a decent ride with normal speed and proper breaking. Enjoy.

Hi All, I am Raji and i am a retired mechanic of royal enfield Chennai branch. Any problem you face with the bike, please get in touch with me. My contact number is 09176338212.Assure you of best servicing.

• Najibullah Khan

03:57 PM Mon, July 16, 2018
  • hi