Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Power Loss
  • Power Loss

created by: Simone12:00 AMWed, March 3, 2004
  • hey guys i have been experiencing a loss of power at high speeds, tried out all the moves the mechanic had in mind, got back home and i opened the fuel cap, it seems the tank was not breathing enough (vacuum), its working fine now, any such similair episodes let me know

• Kaushik Chandrashekar

12:00 AM Fri, March 5, 2004
  • Hey dear,
    I recently had a major overhaul of my old bullet...replacing it`s barrel-piston too...and now i feel a loss in power, specially at climbing heights.
    The carburretor is new, as well as rockers, push rods, all the ball-bearings, etc...what could be the cause?
    Help needed !
    Safe riding ;-)

• ali mehdi

12:00 AM Sun, March 7, 2004
  • Hey dear,
    I recently had a major overhaul of my old bullet...replacing it`s barrel-piston too...and now i feel a loss in power, specially at climbing heights.
    The carburretor is new, as well as rockers, push rods, all the ball-bearings, etc...what could be the cause?
    Help needed !
    Safe riding ;-)

My bike lags exactly at 60-65 and fell loss of power. New Thunderbird 3000 KM. Perfectly ok below and above these speeds. Help.

• Nav karan sidhu

12:00 AM Wed, March 10, 2004
  • The same problem I too faced, tried out everything from cleaning carburretor, air filter, I even stopped using Power/Speed and instead switched to unleaded petrol.
    In the end the problem was spotted in the air intake pipe. Its a bit too long because of which carburretor doesnt get proper air supply. The problem has been solved in the new Thunderbird. I cut the pipe to just about an inch or so and now it is working fine. Though I have noticed that which driving on a steep road in the ghats there is power loss and knocking, I had to drive on 1st or 2nd gear and top speed of 30 km/hr. A Hero Honda CD100 (quite old) zipped past me at more than 50 km/hr. I wonder why is it so?

• Simone Murtas

12:00 AM Sun, March 14, 2004
  • ok, i cut the breather pipe, took the bike for a 300 km run on the highway, works fine for the moment no power loss at all, thanks

• Shashi Bhushan Velasiri

12:00 AM Mon, March 15, 2004
  • ok, i cut the breather pipe, took the bike for a 300 km run on the highway, works fine for the moment no power loss at all, thanks

Its a Black pipe about 1/2 inch dia and can be seen coming out from the cylinder barrel bottom of your engine. In Electra its exactly comming above the crank case and it goes to the Air filter via a reservoir, It has to be clean without any blocks. Usually the oil vapors will escape through the breather pipe onto the reservoir. When you open it up by removing the c-clip you should feel water droplets inside the pipe which is a good sign for the engine. IF oil is seen its not good and there could be something wong. Hope this is useful if not let me know....Cheers

• Simone Murtas

12:00 AM Mon, March 15, 2004

sit on the bike, look on the right side of the carb you will see a thin transparent pipe on the upper part, there is one on the lower side but thats the overflow line, done touch the fat black one

• imdad basha

11:09 AM Wed, January 8, 2014
  • sit on the bike, look on the right side of the carb you will see a thin transparent pipe on the upper part, there is one on the lower side but thats the overflow line, done touch the fat black one

Hi Folks, I did face a power loss, and this happened when i serviced and changed Oil. Infact i had the service done at an authorised service center. I did a market search for a suitable engine oil, surprisingly all the oils that available in market is not a good choice for my vehicle. And thats when i found this DiLS 15W50, a product being manufactured in Hyderabd and being marketed by my friend and upon his advise i touched the oil and felt comfortable to fill my machine. Guess what i see a change with DiLS 15W50... - clear gear shift - smooth engine with clear beat - amazing power at 3rd & 4th gear - less vibration I want to share this info here so that all of you bulleteers can benefit. let me know if you want to reach out or looking to buy this product

• Krishnan Iyer

10:42 PM Wed, December 16, 2015
  • Hi dear, I am facing the same issue from last 2-3 days, with my thunderbird 350 2015, please suggest

• sukhi bhullar

07:02 PM Mon, April 10, 2017
  • i have old model std 2008 i m facing the power lose problem in my bullet as its runs 2km its starts dying and cut off.

• Ramakrishnan Pallipurath

12:16 PM Thu, July 20, 2017
  • Power loss is connected to improper clearance (larger) clerance between cylinder and the piston (in the current context)! If it happens especially while uphill means some issue on the torque too. A thourough investigation would be required !