Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Running in the Thunderbird
  • Running in the Thunderbird

created by: sathish12:00 AMTue, January 27, 2004
  • Hello guys.
    I recently got a silver Thunderbird with disc brakes. I completed the first 500 kms in 3 days. I didn't exceed 2000 rpm on the tacho during that period. Can you guys please tell me the exact speeds and rpms one should follow for the best running in. And there are a few problems I have been facing
    1. The engine seems to be overheating. The rpm rises to as high as 2000 rpm when ridden at 50 for about 15-20 mins. (Idle speed is around 900 for a warm engine.) I mentioned the problem during the service but they dont sem to have fixed the problem.
    2. The engine sound is too loud(Not the silencer sound). I mean the older bullet engines are very quite. Is this a common problem with all thunderbirds? The engine sound has reduced a little now(ODO reads 1045 kms). Will it go away completely?
    3. Can I take my new TB on the highways if I dont exceed a speed of 60 but ride for a couple of hours?

my bike gives my an avg. of around 40kmpl.
    Thanks guys.

4. Will fitting the new electra nylon wool silencer pose any problems to my bullet?

• mughilan ramajayam

12:00 AM Wed, January 28, 2004
  • hi
    ride in your bike until 8,000 kms with dedication and in a sober state so that you do not cross 80 kmph becuase this bike still needs a lot of running in or else will lead to engine seizure. It aint a Jap bike which is highly machined. The engine needs a lot time for the clearances to get normal. so easy pal
    PATIENCE WILL REAP BENEFITS
    MILTZ

• Anand V

12:00 AM Thu, January 29, 2004
  • Heard bout Guru Nandan? Here's an article written by the Undisputed Guru on Run-in. Go through this and follow what exactly it says and u'll find better results.

http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/feature/bullet/running.html

Luckily, when I bought my Bull, I happened to come across this even before ppl gave me their crap loads and thanks to Guru, my Bullet is a perfect run-in one at the end of the 10th month :-) BTW, I didn't ride mine @ 50 till 3,000 kms

Cheers:-)
    Shriram

• Hemant Verma

12:00 AM Fri, January 30, 2004
  • Heard bout Guru Nandan? Here's an article written by the Undisputed Guru on Run-in. Go through this and follow what exactly it says and u'll find better results.

Luckily, when I bought my Bull, I happened to come across this even before ppl gave me their crap loads and thanks to Guru, my Bullet is a perfect run-in one at the end of the 10th month :-) BTW, I didn't ride mine @ 50 till 3,000 kms

Shriram

You got the Ultimate answer ( Thanks Shriram for making me remember bout Nandan's articles on Bulls) Trust me man,..if u wanna run in ur bull properly . go read this thing.
    U dont need to keep ur bull at a constant speed as many people do. All Engines are Engines they need to be run in properly(as Nandans article says) well I remember SwamY ashwinandas articles whre in he suggested some mobike site and the engineer on that site who has had experiences of running in some thousands of mobike engines suggested that BREAK ALL RULE (ASLO AS DEW SAYS) and let hell lose that would setup the gap between the seals of the piston rings.. well I vote for Nands article.
    welll ..errr.... Electra aint got any Nylon silencer... its a GLASS WOLL SILENCER.. I personally feel.. goin in for a GLASS WOOL Silencer would not be a good idea.. I own a Electra 04. U can take my silencer for free. if you want to try before investing.
    Godspeed man

Peace to all
    Navnit

• mughilan ramajayam

12:00 AM Sat, January 31, 2004
  • hi
    ride in your bike until 8,000 kms with dedication and in a sober state so that you do not cross 80 kmph becuase this bike still needs a lot of running in or else will lead to engine seizure. It aint a Jap bike which is highly machined. The engine needs a lot time for the clearances to get normal. so easy pal
    PATIENCE WILL REAP BENEFITS
    MILTZ

I dont know how well the new bulls are machined internally but when i got my bull in 92 by good fortune i met Enfield's Engineer R. S. Deodhar from Madras who mentioned to me to of the running in period which should last for 8k that too
    until 500 dont cross 50
    500 to 1500 below 60 occasional burst to 70
    1500 to 4000 below 80 occassional burst to 90
    4000 to 6K or 8K below 100
    always
    NEVER EVER KEEP A CONSTANT THROTTLE EVEN IF IT IS 40 OR 50 FOR LONG PERIODS ON OPEN STRETCHES ALWAYS KEEP FLICKING THE THROTTLE (DO IT GENTLY THOUGH). tHE OIL CHANGE SHOULD BE DONES AS PER MANUAL AS DEODHAR MENTIONED TO ME A LOT OF METAL PARTICLES GET OFF IN THE RUNNING PERIOD AND SAME SHOULD NOT BE CARRIED BACK TO THE ENGINE OR PISTON COULD GET SCRATCHED.
    I HAVE WRITTEN IN ONE OF MY DISCUSSIONS HOW MY FRIENDS ENGINE SEIZED WILL LET YOU KNOW THE TOPIC FOR EASY REFERENCE
    REGARDS
    MILTZ

• Chacko Jacob

12:00 AM Wed, February 4, 2004
  • Miltz, I have gathered that you are an advocate of the slow break-in procedure. I have had many bikes and autos and usually break all of them in the same, with high speed runs. My bikes always run faster than other bikes broken in slowly. The reason for this is better piston sealing, which will increase power. If you are willing to read a little on this subject try going to mototuneusa.com , this guy is an engine tuner and can explain why quick break-in is critical to performance better than I can. My own bike runs faster and gets better gas milage than RE says it should. Dont expect that I will change your mind but take a few minutes to read the articles at mototune and you will see where I am coming from. Later, DEW.

• Nick Finnigan

12:00 AM Mon, February 9, 2004
  • If the pipe u are referring to is that small black flexible pipe leading from the base of the block to the chain, its the chain autolube chain. It is there to lube the driving chain, it is designed to admit drops of oil onto the chain. If its leaking at the inlet (the end which is connected to the block end with a clip, put on a new pipe and clip not before wrapping the block end of the tube onto which the pipe fits with a little teflon tape. Have met a couple of people who have blocked the outlet though, but removing a facility put in there to make your life easier is hardly a good thing to do.
    Regards,
    Kylo.

• BINOY P S

12:00 AM Tue, February 17, 2004
  • Went thru the replies but hardly anyone has replied to you properly. Lemme try...

1. The engine seems to be overheating. The rpm rises to as high as 2000 rpm when ridden at 50 for about 15-20 mins. (Idle speed is around 900 for a warm engine.) I mentioned the problem during the service but they dont sem to have fixed the problem.

Don't worry, the engine is not overheating. Its a combination of idling setting, free play of acc cable and carb setting. Idling setting is diff in a cold engine and warm engine. Adjust it after you complete 2500km

2. The engine sound is too loud(Not the silencer sound). I mean the older bullet engines are very quite. Is this a common problem with all thunderbirds? The engine sound has reduced a little now(ODO reads 1045 kms). Will it go away completely?

Nope. It will not go away completly. Tbird got a alunimium engine as opposed to cast iron of Electra or old machismo. So it will be noisier compared to them. Tappets sound can be adjusted after 2500km

3. Can I take my new TB on the highways if I dont exceed a speed of 60 but ride for a couple of hours?

No prob but take breaks (at least 10 min) after each hour.

my bike gives my an avg. of around 40kmpl.

Cool

4. Will fitting the new electra nylon wool silencer pose any problems to my bullet?

Each silencer is designed for specific models. Many change the tbird silencer to the std 350 short one for the thump. But i think whatever you do u won't get that "thump" on a AVL engine. When it comes to the effect in perfomance and economy I think its a very personal opinion. And opinions differ

• Arul Kirubakaran

06:00 PM Tue, April 9, 2013
  • I too bought TB-350 ; first service done, but I have a problem that vehicle stops abruptly every say 25 kms and there is no fuel to engine, though the tank is full i need to open and close the Petrol tank cap, Could any one offer me a solution?

• Sourav Banerjee

01:58 PM Mon, August 12, 2013
  • Guru Nandan"s article is not fully aplicable on uce engines

• Sourav Banerjee

02:02 PM Mon, August 12, 2013
  • judt dont cross 6 km for the first 200 km that means u should not use 5th gear about over heating u need to ckeck carbureter tunning&spark plug gap &free rotations of both wheels remember nec uce engines r noisy 2 main souce of noise7vibrations r there one from self start mechanisim&other cam gear after 200- km u may adjust ur cam gear backlash fro ma good mechanic after opening the right side cover to adjust cam gear be sure to pour the oil in a very clean container

• Sourav Banerjee

02:03 PM Mon, August 12, 2013
  • noise&vibrations**

• 10:05 AM Sun, February 16, 2014
  • Hello friend the speeds that are to be followed are given in the user manual. In fact royal enfield bikes are especially for highway cruising. This is a big engine and u must take care that at least first f 3000kms are to be maintained as per the manual. Pull in the clutch fully when u change over to different gears. Check enough lubricating oil is present before starting and dont make sudden speeds let the engine warm up for two minutes and after that ride. Finally this is not a sports bike but on highways u can reach 120 kmph steadily

• Ajay Singh

10:58 AM Sun, May 18, 2014
  • Keep it below 50kmph for the first 3000 km. After that go on to 60kmph gradually that is over a week or so try to go upto 60, 70, 80 etc. Try not to keep the bull at a constant speed for more duration. The graduation to any speed should be gradual. Avoid going from 50 to say 90 kmph suddenly.

• Aashutosh Mahajan

04:54 AM Sat, November 28, 2015

Shriram

New link I guess, http://www.nandanmotors.com/running.html