Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Batteries
  • Batteries

created by: Rahul12:00 AMWed, October 29, 2003
  • Urgent. I own a 1982 second hand bullet 350. My problem is that the battery voltage decreases from 12 to 9 or 10 everytime I leave it unused for 5-6 days. I have even changed the rectifier, but no change. Any fast tips??

• Daniel Forsthofer

12:00 AM Thu, October 30, 2003
  • you may be having a faulty cell

• Gurbir Sidhu

12:00 AM Fri, October 31, 2003
  • Hello pandyaketan,

How old is the battery? Cell voltage going down like what you mention means battery life is over. To be sure, charge on bench and do a discharge test at C5 rating...your battery distributor can do it for you if you don't understand what i am talking about. Personally i feel that your battery life is over. Give more info. and i will reply accordingly.

Hope this helps.
    Adios!

• Gurbir Sidhu

12:00 AM Thu, November 6, 2003
  • Hello pandyaketan,

How old is the battery? Cell voltage going down like what you mention means battery life is over. To be sure, charge on bench and do a discharge test at C5 rating...your battery distributor can do it for you if you don't understand what i am talking about. Personally i feel that your battery life is over. Give more info. and i will reply accordingly.

Hope this helps.
    Adios!

Hey there Saru!

Been doing really good :) hope its the same with you!
    Have not taken time to inspect the electrical system on the new electra.
    Upgrading a Std. to the new electrical system will require some effort and money. How old is the Std.? You will have to change to the newer alternator...gives more current i heard...which is good...you can add more lamps for night driving :) all related components like rectifier, and the newer transistor ignition unit will require rewiring. Apart from the effort involved, its a decent enough upgrade worth working on :)
    Hope this helps :)

Adios!

• Gurbir Sidhu

12:00 AM Mon, November 10, 2003
  • Hello pandyaketan,

Hope this helps.
    Adios!

I am working on a site with another friend of mine who is also a bullet freak :)
    Site will have discussion boards with archives :) and search and also articles by me on the various knick knacks of a bullet or for that matter any bike or car :)
    Will post here once i am done for all you guys to join in!

• Gurbir Sidhu

12:00 AM Mon, November 10, 2003
  • Hello pandyaketan,

Hope this helps.
    Adios!

Hello Pandyaketan!

Thank you for your compliments :) it is very much appreciated! Knowledge was always meant to be shared :)

I would suggest you discard the local battery...get yourself a Tudor/Prestolite. Best technology plant they have :)
    Initial charging is very important for the life cycle of any battery...when you buy branded makes...to some extent it is taken care of...though i personally feel that i do a better job on my own :)
    Local makes not recommended for the same reason.

Adios my friend!

• Senthil Kumar S

12:00 AM Thu, November 27, 2003
  • Hi folks, am just trying to figure out what the average lifespan of a stock 5 amp Bullet battery is with everyday use. I have consistently had to change my battery every 12 months for the last three years. My electricals are all in order, and there is no charging problem. Does everyone experience a similar 1 year life span, or has someone done better. If you have, would like to know what brand has broken the 1 year barrier. Do keep in mind that im talking of a 50km daily usage average.
    Many thanks in advance
    Swami Ashwinananda

• Chacko Jacob

12:00 AM Tue, January 13, 2004
  • Hi folks, am just trying to figure out what the average lifespan of a stock 5 amp Bullet battery is with everyday use. I have consistently had to change my battery every 12 months for the last three years. My electricals are all in order, and there is no charging problem. Does everyone experience a similar 1 year life span, or has someone done better. If you have, would like to know what brand has broken the 1 year barrier. Do keep in mind that im talking of a 50km daily usage average.
    Many thanks in advance
    Swami Ashwinananda

Hi ashwin500, dont know if you can get it in India or not, but you might try one of the new gel type batteries. They are sealed, do not have liquid electrolytes, and can be mounted in any direction. They are supposed to have longer life than regular batteries. When mine goes dead I am going to get one. The only drawback is that they are more expensive than regular batteries.

• Avneet Sirkeck

12:00 AM Sat, January 17, 2004
    Many thanks in advance
    Swami Ashwinananda

Hello Swami mate,
    In your profile, your bike has got 23 ltr (20ltrs) tank and solo unsprung saddle, tank rack and rear luggage rack...It looks very cool man..Can you tell me where can I get those things and can you also tell me how much these things will cost me..Cheers Matey..Hoping to hear from you soon..Bye

• Dinesh Kumar V N

08:56 PM Wed, February 15, 2017
  • HI SENTHIL I AM USING EXIDE BATTERY IN MY BULLET STANDARD FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS NO PROBLEM ONCE IN TWO MONTHS I WILL CHECK THE WATER LEVEL UPTO TO NOW NO COMPLAINTS I DONT HAVE ANY EXTRA LIGHT EXCEPT THE STOCK.