Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Fuel injection for Enfields?
  • Fuel injection for Enfields?

created by: Ranjan12:00 AMSat, April 14, 2007
  • Just wondered if anyone had installed fuel injection on the Enfield. Seems lots of folks spend lots of time getting the carb to do right. Maybe reliability could be better with FI?

• Ratnadeep Jadhav

12:00 AM Sun, April 22, 2007
  • I'm surprised brian hasn't owned you on this one yet. Seriously, I don't think it would be a simple bolt-on job on a Bullet. The inlet port may need to be redesigned for accomodating an injector and the geometry optimised to get the maximum swirl effect, before the mix goes into the chamber. In other words, a total head redesign! Plus, carburetors are fun!

I'm a little tired of people asking how to supercharge a Bullet, convert it to run on CNG, or run on waste plutonium. Sorry.

• jibin jose

• I'm surprised brian hasn't owned you on this one yet. Seriously, I don't think it would be a simple bolt-on job on a Bullet. The inlet port may need to be redesigned for accomodating an injector and the geometry optimised to get the maximum swirl effect, before the mix goes into the chamber. In other words, a total head redesign! Plus, carburetors are fun!

• Akash Kansal

• I would not be surprised if RE had to look at injection in the near future due to environmental regulations, but I don't think direct injection would be the best solution. My money would be on an injected throttle body. Basically a carburetor with an injector or injecters. Some after-market engineer will probably come up with one of these. It would probably enable owners to get more of the potential power from the engine while still staying within code.

• Ratnadeep Jadhav

12:00 AM Mon, April 23, 2007
  • Where do we start..hmmmm..well, first you'll need a bigger more powerful alternator to power the pump but where to put it ??? Then you'll need a pressure regulator to regulate the injection pressure and some type of fuel rail to dump the excess back to the tank. We need a cylinder head temp sensor and crankcase oil temp sensor mounted somewhere, the engines running out of space to put this stuff. This is so you can go blasting across the alalide flats in your jet powered, monkey navigated....sorry, lost my train of thought. Man just go with the carb.

• Abhimanyu Bundela

12:00 AM Tue, April 24, 2007
  • Dude..I know this place where you can get a pocket sized nuclear reactor. You can plug it into your bike and you will not have to get fuel for a thousand years dude. It is absolutely possible to meet emissions standards with a carb too. Brain, those things that you have mentioned..the Fule system and the sensors..but let us not forget that you need an Engine Computer to run the fuel injection system. There is one retrofit kit that I know of that was sold under the name "Dynojet" or "Dynajet", for the some late 80's Kawasaki Ninja. So, guys what is next.. an ABS...an Airbag or may be GPS too..heck..what about an All Wheel Drive for the Bullet...

• jibin jose

12:00 AM Tue, April 24, 2007
  • Indeed, as brian points out, it's not just a head redesign as I said, but a lot more. Somebody mentioned an injected throttle body, that is one simpler implementation of the fuel injector system, used in the economy oriented motor bikes availiable in India, which do without O2 sensors and a lot more...not terribly sophisticated, or as repairable as a carb. The benefits of using a well-designed carb far outweigh the supposed advantages of a poor injector system. Sometimes I wonder if we are asking too much of a machine that was designed in late forties and was never expected to see the new millenium. Its such an achievement that its still around, largely unchanged. let's keep it real, guys.

• VENKATESH KUMAR

12:00 AM Fri, April 27, 2007
  • Y do ppl want to change anythin in bullet. Bullets are better as they are. What do u say guys

• bharat puri

12:00 AM Sat, April 28, 2007
  • Hi david, an Enfield is not supposed to have a fuel injection system, coz it will need countless changes every where in engine, from engine management computer to many sensors, practically it wont perform good Fuel injected engines are completely change in design from basic to working. Just use the matching carb and n'joy the great thump, keep thumping great.

• bharat puri

12:00 AM Sat, April 28, 2007
  • On the internet, I have seen some Enfields fit with after market fuel injection kit, but I'm not sure if they r successful or not, mainly they are fitted in 500 cc. Keep thumping great

• VENKATESH KUMAR

12:00 AM Sun, April 29, 2007
  • Even if it is given a fuel injection system how many ppl will take it. I wont take it for starters. Wht do u say guys. Enfield is a classic machine and should remain classic.

• Abhimanyu Bundela

12:00 AM Tue, May 1, 2007
  • On the internet, I have seen some Enfields fit with after market fuel injection kit, but I'm not sure if they r successful or not, mainly they are fitted in 500 cc. Keep thumping great

Could you point me to a website where you saw these kits. Thanks

• Chacko Jacob

12:00 AM Thu, May 3, 2007
  • Dude..I know this place where you can get a pocket sized nuclear reactor. You can plug it into your bike and you will not have to get fuel for a thousand years dude. It is absolutely possible to meet emissions standards with a carb too. Brain, those things that you have mentioned..the Fule system and the sensors..but let us not forget that you need an Engine Computer to run the fuel injection system. There is one retrofit kit that I know of that was sold under the name "Dynojet" or "Dynajet", for the some late 80's Kawasaki Ninja. So, guys what is next.. an ABS...an Airbag or may be GPS too..heck..what about an All Wheel Drive for the Bullet...

Hey Gangan, where can I get some plutonium for that reactor. I have some friends in Iran and North Korea who need it. Hahahaha, DEW.

• Rajesh Cr

12:00 AM Mon, May 14, 2007
  • The last newsletter there is a short article about RE looking into making a fuel injected engine.

• Akash Kansal

12:00 AM Fri, May 18, 2007
  • The last newsletter there is a short article about RE looking into making a fuel injected engine.

The prospect of the new engine bothers me more than a little bit. When they created the Electra engine I thought they did it right. They added the same type of improvements Enfield owners have been doing to their own bikes for years, while still leaving it a traditional push-rod single. A new engine with unit construction, overhead cam and fuel injection might seem like a giant leap foreward, but I would be afraid they will engineer the heart and soul out of the RE brand.