Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Oil Coming through Silencer
  • Oil Coming through Silencer

created by: Karna12:00 AMTue, March 6, 2007
  • Hi ajit anyways smoke will come out but not as wat u can realy see, in some conditions(like u mentioned 18k kms)the cylender compresson may get weaken.so try to consult a good mechanic and try to check for lateral play of the piston (when piston still in cylender)if play is found its time to replace the piston rings(a set of 3 rings 120 rupees).for this ur cylender has to be removed from the engine,so then check for the scratches on the piston and inside the cylender(both should be very smooth with out scratches)if scratches found on the piston,u have to replace it alone or if scratches found inside the bore(cylender) its time to get it cut for the next size(20) and replace the 2nd oversize piston along with over size rings. Be carefull with mechanics,if u are not clear of all this they may miss guide you. get it done correctly....bye

• S. Manoj

12:00 AM Tue, March 6, 2007
  • Hi ajit anyways smoke will come out but not as wat u can realy see, in some conditions(like u mentioned 18k kms)the cylender compresson may get weaken.so try to consult a good mechanic and try to check for lateral play of the piston (when piston still in cylender)if play is found its time to replace the piston rings(a set of 3 rings 120 rupees).for this ur cylender has to be removed from the engine,so then check for the scratches on the piston and inside the cylender(both should be very smooth with out scratches)if scratches found on the piston,u have to replace it alone or if scratches found inside the bore(cylender) its time to get it cut for the next size(20) and replace the 2nd oversize piston along with over size rings. Be carefull with mechanics,if u are not clear of all this they may miss guide you. get it done correctly....bye

Thanks venu, the mechanic is yet to give his diagnosis. But what is the normal distance travelled before the piston or cylinder wears out?

Could there be a problem of oil leaking from tappet & spring assembly to the exhaust?

There is no smoke even during early morning starts, which is a normal indicator for oil being burnt. I am losing oil at almost 100 ml for 300 Kms travelled.

Regards

• S. Manoj

12:00 AM Tue, March 6, 2007
  • Recently some oil has started coming through my silencer. I have ridden my Electra only for some 18000 Km. Mechanic says cylinder has worn off, or piston rings are misaligned and they might need to rebore the cylinder.

I strongly feel that this may not be the case because there is no smoke, which normally comes when oil gets burnt, spark plug is perfectly clean and there is no starting trouble. I think the mechanics are trying to fleece me here.
    Please advise.

• Chacko Jacob

12:00 AM Wed, March 7, 2007
  • It is also possible that your valve guides are worn. Have this checked also. DEW>

• Ratnadeep Jadhav

• If you have a plug that is not oil fouled, then the only way oil could come out the exhaust is if the exhaust valve guide/seal are worn or the mechanic squirted some oil up your tail pipe while you weren't looking. If it runs fine and the plugs don't foul out, then live with it.

• S. Manoj

• Thanks guys. I have discussed the matter with the mechanic and shared your knowledge and it has actually turned out to be valve guides, which they are polishing and replacing.

Thanks a lot to all. It seems that little knowledge can actually save a lot of money and maybe even the bike.

Regards

Ajit

• saurabh bolia

12:00 AM Thu, March 8, 2007
  • Thanks guys. I have discussed the matter with the mechanic and shared your knowledge and it has actually turned out to be valve guides, which they are polishing and replacing.

Thanks a lot to all. It seems that little knowledge can actually save a lot of money and maybe even the bike.

Regards

Ajit

Just check ur bull's rocker arms only. Open both rocker box, take out both rocker arms. If there is any extra cut on the right side of the rocker, oil will leak. Just replace the rocker arms kit. No aluminiums plz. use only msp rocker arm box. Keep thumping.

• Jawahar Joshi

12:00 AM Thu, September 25, 2008
  • as ajit says ,Recently some oil has started coming through silencer, its happening with my bull also but da piston/piston rings is new. Mechanic says cylinder has worn off, or piston rings are misaligned and they might need to rebore the cylinder.

I also strongly feel that this may not be the case because there is no smoke, which normally comes when oil gets burnt, only lot of smokes comes in saturday morning , (actully i drive my bull only on week end), but once used no smoke on sunday mornig , so please give sum tips on this.
    my bull runs so smooth n starsts in half kick i dont want to open da engine & disturb da timing.