Share your knowledge, post technical queries or just showcase your passion for your Royal Enfield with like minded folk. Be a part of these discussions or browse through debates packed with loads of information, from the experts themselves in our archives.

thread

Fuse - wiring
  • Fuse - wiring

created by: Maliakel12:00 AMThu, October 5, 2006
  • Folks, my bull is now 7 months old and am getting the 'fuse' issue quite often......

I did bump through couple of speed breakes at 70kmph...the sooner my power went off....it needed a fuse to be changed......and it happened twice in a month........ wondering if any of you guys went thru this pain......I cant think abt driving in 50kmph with a bulll and scared to speed to..... is there a permanent fix to it ???? The other thing I need to know, who will do good wiring for bullets, does the RE shop or private guys....... I got to get rid of this pbm at the earliest..... would appreciate any comments..... THANKS ....

• Ratnadeep Jadhav

12:00 AM Sun, October 8, 2006
  • Start with the battery, it might be loose in which case it will bounce and the positive terminal may ground out on the frame if the terminal covers are missing or cut. If that's not the problem, start the bike on it's center stand, take the headlamp off and start wiggling wires. It's a veritable rats nest of wiring in there, could be something loose or pinched, hitting a bump makes it ground out. You'll just have to look.

• viraj ambetkar

12:00 AM Mon, October 9, 2006
  • Hi Arul,
    My Electra has two fuses one for the TCI (located under the seat) and the other for rest of the bike incl. Headlamps (located in D/S toolbox). what is your bike model and which fuse keeps blowing?

Hari

• Bijesh Sidharthan

12:00 AM Thu, October 12, 2006
  • hi Rajan greetings from Goa
    Rajan pls. check the wire loop for the tail light which is under the rear mudguard it might happen that one or more wires are cut and when u go over a bump the tyre brushes the wire leading in wire short. Please check the loop
    and if u want to make new wiring you can buy new wiring harness and put in your bike
    good luck,
    Hanumant

• Maliakel Jaison

12:00 AM Sun, October 15, 2006
  • My bull is electra 4s....one of the fuse inside the tool box blowed out and the other time ...the wire close to Battery got loosened.....

I just took it from service...however, I'm not sure if they really did a good job with the wiring.... thanks for the notes..anyways...

• Devkiran Pawar

12:00 AM Fri, November 3, 2006
  • hi, this kept happening with my bull also, which is a Electra 5s es. exactly what you have mentioned. i have always found that as soon as I make the contact direct the bike starts up , soI guessed that the fuse is blown. but it seemed alright. the problem is that due to the cheap plastic of the cap in which the fuse is the connectors are, they would slip and break contact.I just clamped the connectors with the fuse tight and rolled some insulation tape. has been working fine for the past 6 mths.

cheers riding!!

• Sanjay Lobo

12:00 AM Thu, May 15, 2008
  • I have faced the same issue with my bike a lot of time...so generally I keep 2 spare fuses with me netime...otherwise u can just directly connect it without the fuse..but dont keep it that position for long...might do a serious damage in some circumstances..

Otherwise it works fine...I think u face this problem only while speeding so get the wires n all checked....that shud b the problem

• Navin k

09:20 AM Tue, February 24, 2009
  • you will have to check all your wire routings very carefully. the fuse get conked because surely there is a short circuit somewhere in your wiring. check for it.  check the head lamp casing area, handlebar lock to lock and check for pinching of wires, in between the fuel tank and the frame for pinching of wires, under the seat, tail lamp wiring, disconnect all sockets, battery terminals, bulbs clean with wd 40 and apply petroleum jelly also look for any kind of corrosion in the electrical system and get rid of them.

never make the connection direct without a fuse you will only end up burning your wires.

Enjoy your ride.

• Arulanantham Arunachalam

06:40 PM Mon, April 13, 2009
  • Dear Friends,

I own a Bullet Electra 5S and an Standard 350 1995 model. I want to change the wiring kit in full for the vehicle of the 1995 model. I purchased a wiring kit of Standard but it has got 4 wires coming from the alternator...But, the 1995 model has only 3 wires coming from the alternator. At present, am stationed in Hyderabad. Can you help me out to procure the wiring kit of 1995 model standard and if possible the wiring diagram also....

With Best Wishes,

Mariappa.G

• niaz hussain

11:15 AM Thu, July 2, 2009
  • I had the same problem. Fuse blew repeatedly. Then I noticed that it blew when I turned right. I knew that it was shorting/grounding somewhere when I turn right. I putbull on stand. Put a new fuse. Start the bullet and slowly turn the handle right while keeping my eye on ammeter. When i am more than halfway right, the ammeter needle suddenly deflected left greatly and blew the fuse. Inspected wires carefully. Found a small section of wire which touched the silencer everytime i turned right and this poriton of wire was naked as the cover was burnt by silencer. So everytime I turned right, the bare part touched silencer and shorted the fuse. covered the naked wire with insulation. Tied the part of wire to the chasis so that it doesn't touch silencer and the problem was solved.

• Sambit Biswal

10:10 PM Mon, January 14, 2013
  • Hi I had this issue in my New Electra and today I went to the RE service centre and a change in ammeter fixed the issue .My problem was as soon as I will switch on my lights and drive for few yards the fuse wl go away ...The issue is fixed as of now need to see if thats the solution but anyway I am not having the problem after the change as i drove almost 30kms with my head lamps on without any issue.

• Riju Ramachandran

07:37 PM Fri, May 30, 2014
  • Hi I am also having issue with fuse box, but the fuse is not blown, but the red wire connecting to the fuse array is burned, now some of its insulation is gone and copper wire is exposed in some areas, is anyone facing the issue. Now I cant even start by bullet, I have a Classic 350, 2013 November model

• Sajan KP

11:13 PM Sun, July 20, 2014
  • Someone can guide me that what I should do on the issue related to the main fuse (15A) in my brand new Classic 500 (61kms in odo..!) which blew two times and second time with a smoke observed from under the rider seat!!! why it has happened>? it was never exposed to rain and always under covered area